The last month or so we have been on a healthy food kick at our house. We haven’t really been indulging in the usual pasta, pizza, and cheese laden dishes. I have been pretty good at making really healthy recipes for dinner, but when I saw a recipe for Buffalo Quinoa Mac and Cheese I almost had a heart attack. How could I have never thought of this before?? I love quinoa. I love buffalo anything. I love cheese. Hmmm…..DING DING DING, we found ourselves a winner! The original recipe from Iowa Girl Eats called for chicken, so it can easily be added for all the meat eaters out there. BUT, let me say that I really don’t even think this dish needs any meat. It is so hearty from the quinoa, and the buffalo sauce and blue cheese are so satisfying.
It really turned out amazing, and by the quinoa in place of the ‘mac’ in this recipe it really doesn’t make it too unhealthy. There is a lot of cheese involved, but even with that the meal comes in at under 500 calories, which really isn’t bad for dinner. You could also do smaller portions, and serve it as a side dish along with dinner. Just be prepared, because it’s nearly impossible to resist a second helping!
- 1-1/4 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1-1/2 cups skim milk, divided
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1. Preheat broiler. Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- 2. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a separate saucepan over medium heat. Pour in remaining milk, and green onions. Switch to a spatula and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then cook for one minute while boiling.
- 3. Remove the pan from the heat then add in buffalo sauce and cheddar cheese. Season with a few dashes of salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is completely melted then add in cooked quinoa, and stir to combine.
- 4. Pour into a non-stick sprayed casserole dish and top with chevre. Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and sauce is bubbly. You can also use individual ramekins (I did).
- Serves 4
Love quinoa like I do? Check out these other great quinoa recipes!