Anyone who knows me knows that I love me some cheese. Grilled cheese, cubed cheese, blue cheese, herbed cheese, fried cheese, straight up cheese from the package….. I have never met a cheese that I didn’t like, ever. I often think about how I could spice up my grilled cheese aka the perfect sandwich. Often I use pesto on my sandwiches, but since I didn’t have any basil, I thought maybe I could make a spinach pesto. Turns out I was right and pretty much hit the jackpot (which I will also hit on Tuesday and win over 300 million dollars…stay tuned) with this winning combination. Not only was this spinach pesto delicious on the sandwich, I think it would be awesome on pasta, chicken, fish…pretty much anything. I am actually getting hungry again just typing this.
Ingredients for 2 sandwiches
3/4-1 cup cooked spinach (I used fresh, but you could probably use frozen)
1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil (give or take)
1/4 cup almonds (or whatever nut you like)
2 TBS Parmesan Cheese
pinch of Salt and Pepper
4 pieces of good bread (I like sourdough)
4-5 slices fresh mozzerella cheese
1 TBS cream cheese
2 slices Gouda Cheese (or some other cheese you like that works well with Mozzarella)
*Preparing the Spinach Pesto
1. Put nuts in food processor and grind/chop until chopped.
2. Add spinach, parmesan, and salt and pepper to nuts in processor and run processor. Add olive oil while on until you reach a smooth, pesto-like consistency.
1. Take 4 slices of bread and butter one side of each slice. Lay 2 slices, butter side down in a skillet pan on the lowest heat.
2. Place mozzarella and gouda slices on top of the 2 bread slices in the skillet (1 even layer).
3. Spread cream cheese on remaining slices (un-buttered side), and then spread a tablespoon or pesto on top. Place these slices face down (so pesto is touching the cheese) onto the slices in the skillet already (butter should be up).
4. Turn heat up to medium and cook until golden on bottom side and then flip (about 2-3 minutes). Repeat for other side. Serve hot!